BloomBars is not something you can easily describe. Some have called it an artist and non-profit incubator, performance space, art gallery, theater, dance studio, screening room, youth academy, and center for health, wellness, and community engagement-They were all correct.
Both innovative and old-school wisdom, BloomBars is turning a concept to unite communities through the arts into a model for energizing and inspiring communities to strive for personal and collective progress. Established in 2008 in Washington, DC’s burgeoning Columbia Heights neighborhood, BloomBars is driven by a volunteer team of artists, educators, and community and business leaders. Redefining the perception of a bar, BloomBars does not serve or allow alcohol on its premises fostering a safe and family-friendly environment.
Our vision is a global network of BloomBars-like spaces that serve as a training ground for a new generation of change agents who believe in the transformational power of art to affect positive growth in the community.
We believe art has a critical role in community building, social justice, advocacy, youth development, and health and wellness (Art meaning music, visual and multi-media arts, martial arts, dance, and film). We believe art can be a powerful conduit to link individuals inspired to serve, and communities and organizations in need. We believe there is an urgency to unite people around these principals.
• Build compassionate communities that nurture and support artists committed to service and social responsibility
• Create meaningful connections between artists and community-based organizations
• Empower youth and parents to use art as an education and literacy tool
• Establish a space for artists and community members to learn and practice social activism
• Provide a premier performance space for artists to hone and share their craft
• Provide a (live and digital) platform to amplify artists’ work, and engage and connect local and global communities
• Foster an environment that allows music and art (musicians/artists) to be more accessible to non-artists
• Inspire exploration and discovery of new ideas, places, and people within, and outside of the surrounding community
Guiding Principals- Community first, honest dialog, take risks, safe space, back to basics, experiment, innovate, have fun.
Find out more about the origins of BloomBars.
Would you like to be a member of the BloomBars team? Send an email to email@example.com!