Tuesday, May 15th at 7:00 pm Join BloomBars for a forgotten classic, that was Malcolm X’s favorite film…
Hey fam, we need your help. The last FIVE years – 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, and 2016 – we’ve been honored to be voted the Best Arts and Culture Nonprofit in Washington City Paper’s “Best of DC” poll. And that’s only been made possible thanks to your votes and support. Let’s do it again! I know we said …
ICYMI: Check out the most recent issues of The Weekly Bloom! February 20 February 13 February 6
BloomBars is not something you can easily describe. Some have called it an artist and non-profit incubator, performance space, art gallery, theater, dance studio, screening room, youth academy, and center for health, wellness, and community engagement-They were all correct.
Both innovative and old-school wisdom, BloomBars is turning a concept to unite communities through the arts into a model for energizing and inspiring communities to strive for personal and collective progress. Established in 2008 in Washington, DC’s burgeoning Columbia Heights neighborhood, BloomBars is driven by a volunteer team of artists, educators, and community and business leaders. Redefining the perception of a bar, BloomBars does not serve or allow alcohol on its premises fostering a safe and family-friendly environment.
Our vision is a global network of BloomBars-like spaces that serve as a training ground for a new generation of change agents who believe in the transformational power of art to affect positive growth in the community.
We believe art has a critical role in community building, social justice, advocacy, youth development, and health and wellness (Art meaning music, visual and multi-media arts, martial arts, dance, and film). We believe art can be a powerful conduit to link individuals inspired to serve, and communities and organizations in need. We believe there is an urgency to unite people around these principals.
• Build compassionate communities that nurture and support artists committed to service and social responsibility
• Create meaningful connections between artists and community-based organizations
• Empower youth and parents to use art as an education and literacy tool
• Establish a space for artists and community members to learn and practice social activism
• Provide a premier performance space for artists to hone and share their craft
• Provide a (live and digital) platform to amplify artists’ work, and engage and connect local and global communities
• Foster an environment that allows music and art (musicians/artists) to be more accessible to non-artists
• Inspire exploration and discovery of new ideas, places, and people within, and outside of the surrounding community
Guiding Principals- Community first, honest dialog, take risks, safe space, back to basics, experiment, innovate, have fun.
Find out more about the origins of BloomBars.
Would you like to be a member of the BloomBars team? Send an email to email@example.com!
BloomBars is completely supported by the community. We rely on you to keep our programs running and our bills paid.
Interested in donating?
We leave it to you, learn more about who we are and what we do, then decide if we have value to you. And if you want this work in your community to last, we need your support to pay the bills and keep our seeds growing.
If you’re short on cash when you visit BloomBars, please make your donation online through Fractured Atlas.
Looking to make a bigger impact? Contact us to learn more about how local businesses and organizations work together to create a support network.
Click here to donate online!
BloomBars is a sponsored project of Fractured Atlas, a non-profit arts service organization. Contributions in behalf of BloomBars may be made payable to Fractured Atlas and are tax-deductible to the extent permitted by law.